Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dr. Frankenstein, the fictional representation

  He's a lot smarter than I am, for a fictional being. This fictional being based on me (but named for my grandfather Victor) is always portrayed in video media as some kind of kook, the archetype 'mad scientist'. The Mary Shelley version is much closer to the operative reality in which I currently live and from where once whence I dwelt, as a humble Victorian era practitioner of the healing arts.
  In the movie version they make it seem like the first re-animated corpse just ran amok the countryside; flinging little girls into ponds, confounding blind old men, etc. In truth, he never left the castle on account of intense agoraphobia. He stayed in the dungeon, spent all his time befriending turtles and mice. Strange, yes?