Monday, November 29, 2010

Detective Helsing down in the village

  Now I know what all the brouhaha a few nights ago was about. Helsing has been down in the village since last Tuesday. Doesn't he keep his schedule full enough going after Dracula? I can't imagine what he tells them down at Interpol: "No, see, Newton-Steyn is the original Dr. Frankenstein, the one who built the monsters 200 years ago... I don't know, he's obviously learned the trick to not dying, it seems. I don't think the whole monster idea was just to re-animate corpses, though he still seems to be up to that old stunt even now. Is anyone watching the morgues or cemeteries as I requested?"
  There he would be correct about the immortality thing, or I am projecting too much personal insight into my imagined scenario of Helsing trying to convince his superiors that I should be deeply investigated. They can watch all the morgues and cemeteries till they themselves become tenants. Neither Igor nor myself have traversed that hole, so to speak, since the early days. The chimera protein only needs a consistent course DNA strand from an original host, preferably one that is from an older person about to become deceased. There is less likelihood of a completed creature being mistaken for a youthful version of the host due to the passage of time and steadily diminishing numbers of the host's peers who could recall their youthful appearance. Changing fashion and hairstyle covers the rest of it. 
  Probably our luck we inadvertently retrieved a sample from some near-terminal aged relative of Helsing's and he ended up by sheer coincidence bumping into one of the active creatures and recognized some unusually distinct Helsing family characteristic; then found comparison to old family photos depicting deceased relatives of his as their younger selves. Probably I should do a little digging to confirm or disprove this hunch. I have left DNA retrieval up to Igor and the interns, but it would be ridiculous to try to saddle them with a whole bunch of extrapolated precautionary wherefores and whatifs. Their tasks are tough enough, lurking around nursing homes and the geriatric wards, sizing up candidates without drawing undue attention. Until I spelled it out more concisely to him, Igor used to show up with whole fingers or toes (if I was lucky). "I just need cells, a lock of hair will do the trick". That lesson sunk in that night, for I am sure that despite his being the only other beneficiary of the chimera protein enhancement,  Igor was never the keenest of sprinters. 
  Some way must be found to encourage Helsing to sprint his way back to darkest Transylvania and keep his honed pestering technique aimed solely at Dracula.